Thursday, April 15, 2010

Healthy Living: Moving into Phase 3, it's a big one!

Last month I moved into Phase 2 with my Healthy Living 2010 plan...the food part.  The exercise part is going well, I'm doing it regularly...yes, even running.  Not to the point I have the urge to enter a race, but getting it done.  I started the food journey with what I know works, but got bored and other food started sneaking into the mix.  With the recent popularity of Jamie Oliver and his New Food Revolution, I decided to investigate what he had to offer.  I'm completely impressed.  I love that his focus right now is on the kids and getting them to eat healthy.  My ultimate, ultimate goal is not just myself feeling healthy and fit, but for my kids to grow up feeling good and not having to break themselves of the horrible processed food, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup and all the other icky stuff out there. 

On Wednesday, Aaron and I spent ALL DAY clearing out the kitchen of basically everything, making a shopping list of what basics we needed  (we used the essentials list in Jamie's Food Revolution--beautiful book BTW) and pretty much getting rid of (throwing out and donating) everything else.  We had chocolate pudding mix that expired in 2006!  If it's not good for us and we're not going to eat it, why store it? 

I forgot to take a before picture but here's a couple of afters.  We are so proud of what we accomplished!

IMG_0657 IMG_0660
IMG_0661 IMG_0662

We got the basics from Jamie's list and the ingredients for tonight's dinner and it really wasn't that expensive.  I'm excited and happy to truly learn to cook from the beginning and in a clean way.  This is what we are making for dinner tonight, along with cilantro lime basmati rice and black beans...mmmmm. 

IMG_0668

Somehow however, this snuck into the cart and home...IMG_0671


Uh, AARON!!!! 

Coming up in a future post....the children's reactions to this food revolution!

1 comment:

Miss M! said...

Good for you! I've been working toward similar goals for the past year or so after doing a lot of reading (Fast Food Nation, The Omnivore's Dilemma) and watching of documentaries (Food Inc, King Korn, The Future of Food http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC23tOyPCrk ). It's scary and it's gross!
I've been backsliding a bit lately, but thanks to Jaime Oliver and his new show here I'm reinspired to get back on track with eating real food and not just chemical junk. Baby steps!