Saturday, December 01, 2007

Homemade Lens Cover Magic

This is the coolest thing...I received an email today from one of my very favorite sites (Photojojo) with the coolest doo-dad you can make for your camera to really trick out the bokeh in photos.  Bokeh refers to the out of focus area of a photo and is achieved by setting your camera to a low aperture value.  Bokeh is beneficial in photography because it is a way to emphasize the primary subject. 
An example of using Bokeh:
Img_2949

Photo of Aaron in front of our Christmas tree (using the lowest possible aperture).

Now this is what I made to fit over my lens using cardstock, electrical tape and an exacto knife...
Pc011208










And these are the resulting images...
Img_2950_2


Img_2951


How cool is that?

At this point I still don't understand how this works, but I love it just the same!  I can have some fun with the holidays lights and this trick...time to really get creative...


4 comments:

Aaron Lee said...

You are the coolest!! A photo magician!! And who is that good looking guy in the pictures?

Stephanie McClung said...

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!

grandma M said...

Wow Lisa! You are so creative. What a neat thing to do.

Angela said...

Oh yeah, I love the one with the stars!!! Thanks for the reminder on low apertures too, because no matter how many times I try to study and read on that, I always forget to actually use it. Gotta try it this year! As always, you inspire me ;>)