Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Chicago Spire

P9190879
While we were on the Architectural Boat Cruise in Chicago, we passed by a construction site that will be the future Chicago Spire.  It is proposed to be 2000 feet tall, 150 floors, date of completion of 2010.  When completed it will become North America's tallest free-standing structure and the world's tallest all residential building.  I was especially interested to know more about this because the architect is Santiago Calatrava.  The same architect who built our very own local Sundial Bridge.  I looked up the model and just about fell over laughing.  This dude sure likes his Sundials!
425pxchicago_spire_copy_2


This crazy structure will completely change the Chicago skyline I'm so used to remembering and seeing.  I'm not sure if for the better, what do you think?  I'm guessing this is causing a lot of conversations amongst Chicagoans just as the Sundial Bridge did for Reddingites. 
Picture_2
Picture_3_3


For more information on the Chicago Spire, click HERE. 

8 comments:

Jeanne Milcheck said...

It does not fit the rest of the Chicago skyline

Stephanie McClung said...

It looks way too tall . . . it seems to stick out like a sore thumb. It definitely looks interesting but it seems to take away from the rest of the view!

Aaron Lee said...

It's good to know that the citizens of Chicago will be able to enjoy a wonderful Sundial Bridge just as we do.

grandma M said...

It's definitely not how I will remember Chicago...too much is not always a good thing.

Angela said...

I think Santiago makes a lot of money from pumping out the same idea...I guess he's not TOO stupid! ;>)

Connie said...

What an awesome trip you had! That is some very interesting information you posted. I was not aware of the Sundial replica. The future addition to the skyline looks pretty interesting as well to say the least. I fear where my mind wanders with this. LOL

Angela said...

Funny, Connie! What is it w/ men? You know a woman didn't design that...or did she? BTW, Santiago has two other "sundial bridges" in Spain & Israel...I'm sorry, but can't he come up w/ something new? ;>)

Lisa Lee said...

Oh, I'm with you there Connie! I had some interesting thoughts too. ;-)
Angela, I was checking out Santiago's other designs and did see he has quite a few of those sundial bridges in his repertoire. You can always recognize a Santiago design! Makes me feel a little cultured, in ltl ol' Reddn'...lol!