Monday, November 15, 2010

Ugh...

IMG_4520 P90X has done me in.  I hit 6 weeks of faithfully doing the P90X program a few weeks ago.  I stopped at 6 weeks for a variety of reasons.  It was just going to be a brief stop, an adjustment of sorts.  One of those reasons has derailed my restarting the program. 


That reason culminated in a visit with an orthopedic surgeon this morning and a panel of x-rays.  Lucky me...I have chondromalacia.  In simple terms it is a misalignment of the patella (kneecap) which causes the kneecap to rub against the joint, irritating the cartilage.  (Along with causing constant pain and swelling).  I most likely have always had chondromalcia but the added intensity of P90X and the attempts I've made at becoming a regular runner-type, have exacerbated the problem.  So by the doctors orders I am not to overextend my knee in any direction, do any jumping or running.  Even though I thought I'd love to be told I can't run, I don't.  I don't like being told I can't do something.  And sure I can still do it, but is the pain worth it?  Uh, truthfully no.  Especially when surgery could come into play.  So now I rest it and wear this knee brace while it's healing and probably forever while doing any type of exercise.


So....cycling anyone? 

10 comments:

Jody Smith said...

Bummer! Hmm how about swimming?

lisaski said...

Swimming's good, bicycling too...anything with a gliding motion. I think I'm going to work on trading or selling my treadmill for an elliptical!

Kiera Chambers said...

chondromalacia? so did Aaron give that to you...
oh...it's not that kind of 'issue'...
I'd go for the bike and swimming thing, I hate swimming, I suck at swimming, but boy-holla does it feel good when you're done!

kim said...

Lisa...I will bike with you anytime...just let me know!!!! Get that knee healed and we'll go!!! Hugs!!!!!

Zizi Ukestad said...

OMGosh IM SO SORRY! (((((HUGS)))))

Kathy said...

Sorry to hear this Lisa...you were doing so well. :0(

Stephanie said...

So sorry to hear this, Lisa . . . I can relate! Definitely be smart and rest so it can heal. Would the surgery be a patella realignment?

lisaski said...

Yeah it sucks! It's called a lateral release....they cut the ligament that is tight to allow the knee cap to move. Ick, just typing it makes me want to vomit.

lisaski said...

Lol....
I know, I might need to invest in a wetsuit!

lisaski said...

You're on!