Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Getting Crafty with punches

IMG_4047
I dug out one of my oldy but goody craft ideas after seeing some fun Halloween paper and a pumpkin punch on clearance at Michaels.  I did this same thing last Halloween with a skull punch and I've done it with snowflake punches and butterfly punches as well.  It's really simple but I love the look. It's also a great project to do with the kids because there is no wrong way to do it, though in art there really never is!


1.  Gather some fun papers, scrapbook papers, ephemera, photos, anything you can punch out.  You can Photo-10 stick with a certain color, theme or just completely mix it up. 


  Photo-9 2.  Purchase a fun shaped paper punch....there are countless shapes and cost between $5-$10...I bought mine at Michaels.  I rarely ever buy anything at Michaels without a 40% off coupon--save 'em up and use 'em!


3.  Purchase a frame....I reuse the same shadowbox frame throughout the year and just swap out the art for the season.  Any size frame will work, I prefer shadowbox frames for this project.


4.  Punch out your shapes and glue them down however you like.  For the pumpkin one in the shadowbox, Photo-12 I   also used pop-dots, which are raised pieces of foam sticker that gives a little dimension to the punch outs.  For the skeleton, the kids chose to just glue all the punch outs down randomly and then use one pop-dot for the black glitter skull.  Ella did the pumpkin one on the left and made a pattern, using alternating using pop-dots.  Anything goes here...it all looks fun!


5.  Hang on the wall or give as a gift! 


IMG_4036

6 comments:

Zizi Ukestad said...

SUPER CUTE! What a crafty Mama!!!!

Jody Smith said...

Love doing crafts like that with the kids! Very cute!

Viki Twyman said...

Those are so cool!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE THESE!! Even I would attempt a craft like this! :-)

Kathy said...

Great idea and one that can be used anytime of the year!

Kathy said...

Great idea for anytime of the year!!!